Tuesday 4 January 2011

Emmy the Great

I am a big fan of Emmy the Great, and one of the things I enjoy best about her music other than her wonderful voice is her lyrics. Not only are they clever and interesting, but honest, and it's this honesty that I love. She's not afraid to tell it like it is. Here's a few examples:

"I knew you best,
back when love was just a feeling that ran out between my legs, on to the back of my dress,
on to the clothes that I was wearing" - Two Steps Forward

"Later on me and a bottle will hook up to have some fun
Then I'll call your house at twelve to let you know that I'm drunk
Say I'm sorry Mr C, I was just looking for your son
How are you, incidentally, do you know if he's out alone?
There is this book he lent to me something like seven months ago
I'm gonna burn it in the street be so kind as let him know
that I'm dealing with this badly
and could he please get back to me?"   -Canopies and Drapes

"I thought romance was pretty,
But then you went and spoiled it,
Everytime that I think of you,
Have to go to the toilet.
Can't tell if this is love
Or a stomach disorder." - The Hypnotist's Son

"I sat with Dan and drank some beer
We hadn't spoken since last year
I took his hand, led him upstairs
Silently drew his body near.
I couldn't see, missed you so much
Missed you so much, I had to fuck,
Between your sheets, all charred with grief
The pillows tainted with your dreams"  - Edward is Deadward

See what I mean? Brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment